Lakes of Muskoka Realty recognizes that privacy is a fundamental right of all citizens of Canada. Lakes of Muskoka Realty is bound by the statutes and regulations expressed in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). In addition, as a member of the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) we adhere and abide to the principles set forth by the CREA privacy code.
We only collect personal information that is necessary to:
- Market and sell the properties of sellers in a professional and competent manner.
- Locate, assess and qualify properties for buyers.
- Provide useful, proficient and professional service to our clients and customers.
PRIVACY COMPLIANCE OFFICER
The Administrative Manager is the Privacy Compliance Officer responsible for privacy compliance for Lakes of Muskoka Realty. The name of the Privacy Compliance Officer is available to consumers. The responsibilities of the Privacy Compliance Officer shall include:
- establish and update information protection policies
- establish criteria for classification of information
- evaluate the accessibility of sensitive information and take corrective action
- attempt to resolve consumer privacy complaints
THE COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Only information necessary to facilitate the real estate transaction or otherwise provide professional and competent service to clients and customers will be collected.
- No personal information shall be collected from an individual without first obtaining the consent of the individual to the collection, use and dissemination of that information.
- Express consent (oral or written) must always be obtained except when consent may be implied. Consent may be implied where the information is not sensitive and where it can be reasonably assumed that the individual would expect the information to be disclosed in this fashion.
- Once information is collected, it will be used and disclosed only for the purposes disclosed to the individual.
- All listing and buyer agreements must include the approved privacy clauses
DISCLOSURE FOR NEW PURPOSE
- Any sales representative or employee using personal information for some new purpose that extends beyond the consent originally provided must obtain express consent of the individual.
- Request for information by law enforcement officials, lawyers, or other agents or court issued documents must be referred to the Administrative Manager.
- Information must be protected in a manner commensurate with its sensitivity, value and criticality. This applies to records regardless of their physical form or characteristics or media.
Collection and Disclosure
- Meetings with customers and clients in the office must occur in a place and manner to ensure confidentiality.
- Mail and faxes must be directed to the intended recipient.
- Information will be available to staff and sales representatives on a need-to-know basis.
- Personal and sensitive information shall be kept secure in filing cabinets within the office of the branch a dministrator.
- All computers must have personal passwords.
- Please refer to retention and destruction policy in office policy manual.
ACCURACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- It is the responsibility of this company to ensure that information that we collect, use and disclose is current, accurate and verifiable.
- All public property information should be verified.
- Disclaimer of accuracy in approved form of this company or board should be attached to any disclosure of information.
- All personal information should be updated only when necessary to fulfill the specific purpose.
- All updates to personal information must be accompanied with the date on which the update occurred.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Copies of any privacy brochure approved by this company should always be available to the public in the reception area of the office.
- The Privacy Compliance Officer is the person responsible for responding to access requests and all such requests will be referred to him or her.
- All staff and sales representatives will co-operate fully with the Administrative Manager in responding to requests.
- On written requests and appropriate identification satisfactory to the company the Privacy Compliance Officer will advise the individual as to his or her personal information retained by the company.
- If information cannot be disclosed the individual will be given a reason for non-disclosure.
- An individual may have appended to a record any information that the company deems to be correct.
- A minimal administrative fee may be charged to supply the information.
- Any complaints from an individual concerning the collection, use or disclosure of their personal information or concerning access to his or her personal information must be referred to the Privacy Compliance Officer.
- In the event the complaint cannot be resolved internally to the individual's satisfaction, he or she will be advised of further avenues of recourse.